Click the SCHEDULE YOUR TIME button to choose an available date and time that works best for your school visit. I will email you afterwards to finalize details.
School Visits are Free!
- I don't charge for school visits. If a school is outside 1 hour from my home in Saratoga Springs, Utah, I may charge a fee to cover transportation. I often travel to teach at writing conferences and other events. Contact me to see if I'll be in your area and I'd be happy to visit your school while in town!
Interactive Author Visit
- I cater school visits to the age of the students (3rd-12th grades), incorporating jokes, magic tricks, art, music (I play trombone and other instruments) and interactive stories.
- We talk about being the hero of your own story and tie it into writing, the importance of reading, dealing with failure and not giving up.
- We create a story together using a story box, and in elementary visits the students dress up their teachers in capes and silly hats for the story we create.
- I share funny stories from my youth that students help act out. We talk about how creativity sometimes has unexpected consequences and anti-bullying. This is a student favorite!
- For middle and high school I mostly visit creative writing classes. We dig a little more into the process of writing and I spend a lot of time answering questions about the publishing world and being an author.
Free artwork for all students
- 40 to 60 minute engaging presentations available.
- Open to classroom visits, grade level assemblies, or assemblies for the whole school.
Literacy and Book Fair Nights
- Is your school hosting a literacy night or book fair night? These are some of my favorite evening events to attend as an author. Typically, I'll host an assembly at the school a few days before your literacy night. Then I'll come back for the evening event to sell/sign books, and give away free signed posters to students who come to the event.
WHAT EDUCATORS ARE SAYING
Principal Kristi Wheeler, Bonneville Elementary Assembly - "If you are trying to motivate your students to write stories in the most engaging way--sign Johan Twiss up!! He was the best assembly of the year!!"
Mrs. Toronto, Bonneville Elementary Assembly - "Our school could not have loved this assembly more! It was so fun and engaging and taught the kids how they can achieve their dreams and think creatively. Many students at our school have started reading his books as well and can't put them down!
Mrs. Milne, Harbor Point Elementary Media Specialist, 6th Grade Assembly - "We had a wonderful experience with Johan Twiss at our school. He was very entertaining and the students were engaged the entire time. It was fun hearing his stories and the students loved it!"
Celeste Knight, PTA Literacy Night Coordinator, Summit Academy Independence - "Our school community thoroughly enjoyed having Johan Twiss present for our Literacy Night. He captivated his audience and had a wonderful presentation for our families."
Mrs. Card, 4th grade, Sage Hills Elementary - "My class absolutely enjoyed every minute of the author visit with Johan Twiss!"
Mrs. Jolley, 3-5th grade Assembly, Brockbank Elementary - "We had the pleasure of having Johan Twiss visit our school for an author assembly. We were impressed by his ability to keep the students' attention through his stories and magic tricks. Our students loved his uplifting message. We look forward to having him return next year."
Mrs. Stewart, 6th grade, Orem Elementary - "It is wonderful how Johan engages the class to see how a story can be woven and gets their minds thinking like an author."
Mrs. Kunzler, 4th grade, Sage Hills Elementary - "Johan Twiss was a great classroom speaker. My students were so excited that he was an author and he inspired them to write too! He told them his process of writing and even helped them brainstorm their own ideas. He also made the presentation fun and related well to the students. I already plan to have him back next year!"